Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Dayboro

Read More

I spent a few hours exploring out the back of Dayboro today. It’s a delightful town surrounded by green farms, areas of thick bush, and a backdrop of imposing mountains.


Terrors Creek

A causeway over Terrors creek, south of Dayboro.


According to local historian, Leith Barter, the creek was named after “Terah” – a grey Arab stallion owned in the 1850′s by Captain John Griffin of the Whiteside Run. In fact the whole area at one time was called “Terrors Creek” but the local postmaster didn’t like the name, saying it sounded too much like “Torrens Creek” so the name changed. The only authentic spelling of the name “Terah” I can find in town is the restaurant “Terah’s” on the main drag. I expect you wouldn’t get far naming a restaurant “Terror’s” would you?


Railway Remnants

The wooden pylons are remnants of a bridge that was part of the old railway line between Dayboro and Ferny Grove.


I think the funny looking hut with cream paint and a red roof is related to the old railway line but I’m not sure.


You can read more about my exploration of this railway line here.


Lees Crossing

Lees Crossing

A causeway at Lees Crossing across the North Pine River just out of Dayboro.


Woodward Road, Dayboro

I followed Woodward road to see where it ended up, and discovered some steep hills, friendly people and great views along the way.


This old road actually used to lead from Dayboro to Esk over the D’Aguilar range.


I’m hoping to see if I can retrace it sometime in the next couple of months – at least as far as the top of the range.


Self-repairing tyres

On the way back I ran over some glass which cut my tyre. Tubeless sealant sprayed everywhere, but after about 5 minutes it sealed up of its own accord, and I was able to pump it up and keep riding.


I originally took this pic as a mental note so I knew where to check for damage when I got home (it’s a new tyre), but I thought it was pretty cool to demonstrate the way the tubeless system works.


I think I’ll dab some “Shoe goo” on the scratch from the outside and top up the sealant. Hopefully the tear will stay fixed. Thank goodness for “Stans No-Tubes”!


All up about 39km with about 770m of climbing, and 1900cal. 6 out of 10 for toughness (It was pretty short, and the only steep climbs were on bitumen). I’ll be back to explore this area again!


No comments: