Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Peachester

Read More

I’m planning a cross country ride north through the Peachester area and wanted to check out a few trails in the area before that ride.


Glasshouse Mountains

Peachester is perched in the forested foothills of the Blackall Ranges with great views south to the Glasshouse Mountains.


Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo

Last time I was here I wound up in the middle of a bunch of Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoos all happily squawking to each other and munching on She-Oak bark, but today I was delighted to see this rare Red-Tailed Cockatoo, also hiding up in the She-Oaks.


Goanna

I almost ran over this two metre long Lace Monitor (or Goanna) on my way out of the forest. I spotted a couple today. As I approached, they just slowly waddled out of the way, looking for a tree to climb.


Crikey!

Of course a two-metre goanna seems tiny compared to the huge reptiles that Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, used to wrestle with. This beautiful memorial to him at the start of “Steve Irwin Way” always reminds me about Steve’s passion and energy for those huge reptiles. Passion and energy, in the right place they’re magical things!


If you’re reading this, and you’re free on the 29th of October 2011, and would like a fun 70km cross-country ride through some of this country, why not drop me a line or sign up for the ride here.


No comments: