Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lost in the Hills

Read More

I wanted to climb the Toowoomba range via single track and fire trails, so I found a quiet back road out the back of Withcott, followed it to the end, jumped a few gates, and ended up in the middle of nowhere.


After climbing a few monster hills that ended (sadly) in dead-ends, I finally found a fire break and followed it.


But what was supposed to be a 60 minute adventure ended up taking three hours.


I eventually found my way home, up a couple more amazingly steep hills, but (alas) I only managed to get one photo. Light was fading quickly in the late autumn afternoon, and I didn’t want to stop too long.


The total ascent was about 720m, total descent, about 380m.

Lost at Withcott


The next day, Paul and I rode along some of the fire trails along the escarpment below Picnic Point. These are mostly steep rocky walking tracks, so attacking them with a mountain bike was a bit “adventurous”. Still not being totally comfortable with my clip-in pedals I fell off a few times, luckily with no damage. The view out to Tabletop Mountain is spectacular.

Tabletop Mountain

We also had a quick look out to the North towards Prince Henry Heights at some of the hills where I managed to get a bit lost the day before:

Picnic Point



View Larger Map


View Larger Map


No comments: