Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bunya Mountains

Read More

Neil at Westcliff

Our family decided to go to the Bunya Mountains for a short break, so I brought my bike and did some exploring of this beautiful part of the world.



Bunyas at Sunset


The high peaks of this range have the largest remnant forest of Bunya Pines on the planet. The cool rainforests are home to many rare species of animals and plants. It’s the perfect place for a tranquil get-away.


Eagle's Rest

We stayed at a cosy chalet on the side of the range at Dandabah overlooking vast forests of Bunya Pines with views that stretched forever northwards.


Westcliff Track


While everyone was still asleep, I ventured out into the crisp morning in search of new places.


Westcliff Track


Even though it’s late September, temperatures were similar to a cold winters morning in Brisbane. I was glad I’d brought my jacket as I slowly rolled through the forest.


Westcott Camping GroundCherry Plain


The national park walking tracks are off-limits to bikes, so I avoided them and stuck to the quiet road as I made my way north towards Burton’s Well.


1100 metres


Burton’s Well is at the northern end of the national park, at over 1,100 metres elevation. Just over a year ago some friends and I enjoyed a fun ride to Yarraman from here, so I wanted to close up a gap in my map and revisit that spot.


Burtons Well

Pia and Seb


Because of its elevation, temperatures at the camp ground can get quite low. I said “G’day” to Pia and her kids who had braved a freezing night in a tent on the edge of the range. They looked cold but happy to be enjoying the cool serenity.


From Mt Kiangarrow


I took a quick detour from there to the top of Mount Kiangarrow. At 1,135 metres above sea level, it’s the highest point in the Bunya Mountains with great vews of the plains of the Darling Downs to the west.


Tolmie Road,


My friend and riding buddy, Eric, asked me to check out some westward tracks to see if there was a possibility of riding off-road from the mountains towards Dalby. So after returning from Burton’s Well, I headed west off the side of the mountain.


Looking West Towards Dalby


The track follows powerlines westwards through bleak wind-swept grasslands. I didn’t venture too far, but I’m sure if we asked a few of the locals they’d point us in the right direction. What do you think, Eric?


Looking West Towards Dalby


Nothing appeals to a mountain biker more than an unexplored track. I’ve got a feeling we’ll be coming back :)


Magpie

Crimson RosellaKing Parrot

CurrawongMale Satin Bowerbird


Back at the chalet, the local birdlife decided to introduce themselves. Friendly Magpies, Crimson Rosellas, King Parrots, Currawongs and Satin Bowerbirds dropped in to see if we could spare some bread or seeds. They also performed some amazing acrobatics when we tossed morsels into the air for them to catch.


Riding in a Horse and Cart


Local guide Alan Govan took us for a leisurely horse-drawn tour around Dandabah and pointed out some of the other things we could do during our stay.


Bunya Pine


We decided to go for a walk in the forest and hug a few Bunyas.


Festoon Falls

Festoon FallsFestoon Falls


The scenic loop goes for about 5 km as it twists along a creek through the rainforest under the canopy of majestic Bunya Pines.


Our Chalet


At Pine Gorge we looked back across the valley and could see our Chalet in the distance.


Bunya Mountains Sceninc Walk

Gympie-Gympie


The path wound past rock pools past towering tree ferns and stinging trees.


Tim Shea Falls

Raining in the Forest


The trees sheltered us from the gentle rain.


Scenic Walk, Bunya Mountains

FungusLichen

MossBunya Pine


A Bunya Forest is a special place.


Strangler Fig


It’s an awe-inspiring experience to feel dwarfed by ancient trees.


Bounya Mountains Sculpture


This sculpture at the visitors centre captured the the struggle for life as plants in the forest reach up for light.


Currawong


We loved our brief stay in the Bunya Mountains, and will definitely be coming back.



My brief adventure on the bike covered about 30km in three hours as I climbed about 800m in vertical ascent. I’d rate it 6 out og 10 on the tough-o-meter.



Our stroll through the forest covered almost 5km in aboyut two hours. It’s an easy walk.


No comments: