Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Taylors Break

Read More

Taylors Break

The heat and humidity in Brisbane has been intense over the last few days, so I thought I’d escape the intensity by heading up into the mountains to my favourite place – D’Aguilar National Park. Today I wanted to try something a bit different, so I decided to have a go riding down Taylors Break.


Taylors Break

Taylors break is a narrow winding track that heads down the other side of the Mountain Range starting at Forestry Road and ending at Branch Creek.

Taylors Break

It starts pleasantly, covered with thick forest, opening up into great views. But as you get further along the track it gets steeper and rockier. Some places are really difficult to even walk down without sliding. Since I was travelling alone, I decided not to take risks, and walked the bike down a couple of the really steep rocky bits.

Dundas Road

Once I arrived at the bottom I faced a tough climb up Cabbage Tree Range Road, which ascends almost 500m in just under 7km to Dundas Road. Today it only took me 57 minutes, which is my best effort. As a reward, I shed my jersey, stuck my head under the tap on the water tank and let the water cool me down. I then stood in the breeze like a maniac and enjoyed its delicious coolness. Thankfully no one was watching :)


It was only 25km, but I climbed just under 1,000m on a day with a maximum temperature of 37C. It was hard work, plus the descent was quite tricky. I’ll give it 9 out of 10 on the tough-o-meter. Deduct 1 if you’re doing it in the cooler months.


The cool shower under the Dundas Road water tower ranks as one of those things you must do to appreciate how wonderful it feels.


No comments: