Please note: you can find a more up to date version of this blog at http://blog.neilennis.com

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Packing for a cruise

Here's my first attempt at a video blog post.

I did this to see what sort of effort is necessary to do a blog entry because I'm going to do a few of these over the next week as part of my cruise.

My Nokia N95 does pretty good quality videos, and it lets you edit them. But here's a few points that you need to bear in mind.

1. Each video records about 2mb per minute. So for posting blog entries on a cruise ship I'm going to have to limit myself to one minute posts.

2. The N95 has a "pause" button that lets you stop filming for a while, but if you pause too long, the video stops, and you have to record a new one rather than add to the existing one.

3. The N95 editor lets you merge videos together, but once merged, the size of the video bloats out. E.g. I had two 30 second videos, each 1mb in size. I merged them and the result was 14mb in size. Try this a few times with a number of video fragments. I ended up with a 140mb monster that took a couple of hours to merge!

4. So I had to convert this video from MP4 to AVI using Blink. Then I loaded the resulting 200mb file into windows movie maker, which I got to spit out a 15mb video which you can see here.

5. I will be posting to Blogger via Flickr. This is because Blogger rejects any email attatchments that are more than about 250kb in size. Flickr allows larger video attachments, but the maximum duration is only 90 seconds. There's one other "gotcha" in Flickr. When it posts to Blogger it sets the height and width of the video to 0px so it's invisible. So you have to edit the post after the fact, and set the height and width to something reasonable. Painful over a slow connection, but that's the only choice I have.

So in onboard posts over the next few days, please excuse me if I talk really fast :)

No comments: